Bellevue Shooting Death In Chat Room Ruled Accidental

Back in March, a Bellevue teen shot and killed himself while others watched in a video chat room. Was it an accident? Or suicide? To find the answer, police launched a three-month investigation that spanned the globe.

A 911 call from Florida led Bellevue police to a home in the Castle Ridge neighborhood. It was an online friend of 19-year-old Trevor George that called, worried he might have shot himself.

The buzz about what happened in the Tinychat video chat room that night was archived online. According to the chatter, George went by two screen names, TZIF and Jesus, with variations of Jesus.

At first, no one seemed to really believe the teen had shot himself. The chat is somewhat anonymous, so finding where he was and what his real name might be, proved difficult.

The next morning it was a person from Florida who knew George's real identity that was able to get help, but it was too late

Days later, the chat archive shows many still in disbelief until Bellevue police confirmed George had died.

"It is unknown if it was an accident or if it was a suicidal type of thing," Former Bellevue police Chief John Stacey spoke to Channel 6 right after it happened, but few details have been released until recently.

Police have ruled the shooting accidental and say George was not coerced or dared to do it.

They say that George had done something similar before in the chat jokingly, but the gun was never loaded.

Also on the archived chats about the death, this screen shot. His web cam remained on after he shot himself. A dark screen shows nothing but the tragedy that several witnessed.

It was written on the archive that George's last words may have been "Help me."

After the death was confirmed, there were many posts of friends, grieving the tragic death. Some asking why, others saying goodbye and then the select few who saw it happen wishing they'd done more.

A user with the screen name "Strawman" said, "I talked to him in his last seconds. I didn't realize he was dying."

Channel 6 News reached out to Trevor's family on Sunday and have been unable to get ahold of them.

When reporter LeAnne Morman spoke to family in March, they did not believe it was a suicide.

Police say George didn't appear to be depressed or suicidal.

To determine the death was accidental, investigators combed through George's computer and went on a search for every individual chat room member who witnessed it.

People who saw it were in the United States, Australia, Canada and The Netherlands.

George was studying at Bellevue University and was a straight-A student.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 156927775 -
Gray Television, Inc.