A Bellevue family is still reeling from a fire that destroyed their home earlier this month.
They lost nearly everything.
Stephanie Simon's dreams turned to nightmare on the morning of November 3rd.
Her home was on fire. "You just think this can't possibly be happening," she said. "We had to climb the fence to get out because it was really hot in the front."
Her eldest son thought he doused coals from an earlier pit fire, but the smoldering embers ignited, burning down the garage and spreading to the home through the ceiling.
"We didn't know the fire was actually burning above us, Stephanie said.
Damage inside the home shows how lucky Stephanie was to get everyone out safely.
"All of my kids stuff was completely destroyed," she said. "Most of our family memories were on the side of the house that was destroyed. My car, a brand new car was completely burned up."
Leaving Stephanie to put her family's lives back together.
"I have to try to put clothes on my kid's backs and figure out how we're going to eat and just try to get back on our feet and all the stuff that we had you can't just go out and replace. So it's very overwhelming.
For now, the family is staying in a hotel, but Stephanie said things just aren't the same. "I don't have any place that's mine and so I can't stay in the hotel forever and it's not a place I can call home," she said. "Its tough. but we're all safe we're all alive and coping with it."
Her friends are holding a spaghetti feed fundraiser Saturday November 23rd at Bellevue East High School. It runs from noon to 6pm. The cost is $6 for adults and $4 for children. Miss Teen Nebraska will also be making an appearance.