The man accused of killing 19-year-old Melissa Rodriguez has been found not competent to stand trial.
Last fall, 19-year-old Mikael Loyd had been ordered to trial on a charge of First Degree Murder in the case. On Thursday, the court ruled he was not competent to do so.
The case came to light when a body turned up in a newly-dug grave at Graceland Cemetery near 42nd and L streets on August 15th. Authorities determined the body was that of Ms. Rodriguez, who had been involved in a relationship with Loyd and he was arrested a short time later.
Shortly before Rodriguez was killed, Mikael had been checked into Lasting Hope Recovery Center, but according to the testimony of a detective involved in the interviews after Loyd's arrest, Loyd said, "I told the doctor (at Lasting Hope) what I needed to get out."
Defense and prosecuting attorneys presented evaluations in court Thursday. Those evaluations were done by Dr. W Scott Moore and Dr. Bruce Gutnick. Both agreed that that Lloyd is incompetent to stand trial.
Prosecutors say they believe Lloyd will become competent in the future after proper treatment. That treatment will be provided at the Lincoln Regional Center until such time that Loyd is deemed competent. Until that time, the evaluations by the doctors will be sealed.
Loyd could remain at the Regional Center for any length of time but by statute they will need to hold another hearing in six months to reevaluate the situation.