A passerby notices smoke coming from the top floor of the home, and alerts authorities to an early morning house fire.
It happened near 124th & Stonegate Drive.
Fire crews arrived at the scene shortly after getting the call, but it took them thirty minutes to get the fire under control.
No one was inside the home, but the blaze did kill three dogs inside.
There is extensive smoke and water damage.
Firefighters believe the fire started in an upstairs bedroom.
Sharon Morehead and her husband own the home. "I lost my three dogs, and that's all that matters. I knew the kids were all at school. I went to work early. My husband was sitting in the dentist chair when this happened. I don't know what to think."
Morehead and her husband built this house in 1994. Fires in 2003 and 2005 caused significant damage to other parts of the house. She believes faulty wiring is probably to blame for the latest fire.
"It's never worked properly since they rewired it," said Morehead. "Even though I know it was inspected, we've had problems with plug-ins. We've had problems with lights blinking. We've had problems with lights blowing out constantly."
Pets left at home have no easy way of escape in case of a fire. Firefighters must consider their own safety when trying to rescue pets. But even when they are able to search for them, Pam Weise with the Nebraska Humane society says the animals don't always cooperate.
"They come in," Weise says about the firefighters. "They've got big breather gear on. They're wearing their big gear. They're scary looking. So they can scare pets. And the pets may go further into the home."
The Morehead's three dogs, named Prince, Jasper and King, were all 7-year old shelties.
"They were just everything to us," Morehead said. "They were my babies. And the kids loved them dearly. It's going to devastate my grandkids, just devastate them."