A south Omaha home is a complete loss after a house explosion early Friday morning. However in this, the second explosion in just three days time, nobody was injured.
The boom could be heard by neighbors, around 37th and G, just before 6 a.m. Firefighters say a gas leak is to blame.
When they arrived on scene, they immediately disconnected the natural gas line, and tackled a few flames that resulted. While smoke could still be seen under the front porch when Channel 6 arrived a few minutes later, the real problem was the north side of the home, which collapsed in the blast.
"We just heard the big old boom like it was like two trains slamming together," said neighbor Leo Schillmock who lives a couple of doors down. "And then I come out and saw the smoke rolling out of the house."
Neighbors say the home had been vacant for a few years. However, they say the owner has not neglected it. He'd been back often fixing it up to sell.
"We smelled gas every once in a while in this area," said Schillmock. "We had problems, we thought, at our house, and they (M.U.D.) come out and they never did find where it was coming from."
The situation just two doors down from him, he said, really demonstrated why home owners need to call M.U.D. or even 911 whenever they suspect a problem. "That could have been my house," he said.