A two-alarm fire that damaged part of an Omaha business Friday night was caused by the spontaneous combustion of meat and bone meal stored in a bin.
The building near 33rd and F streets is part of Darling International, a rendering plant that processes proteins used in the making of pet food. Three employees inside at the time the fire broke out, just before 10:30 p.m., were able to escape.
Responding crews could see the flames from six blocks away. A second alarm was called soon after and firefighters from Bellevue assisted.
Channel 6 News spoke with neighbors, who said this wasn’t the first time they’ve had problems with the plant, more recently dealing with cantankerous odors coming from the building. Omaha City Councilman Garry Gernandt said Darling International has made improvements to meet and maintain requirements for air emissions and city inspection standards.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.