Worker Burned In Blaze At Nebraska State Fairgrounds

By: WOWT Email
By: WOWT Email

A construction worker was burned in a fire at the Nebraska State Fairgrounds in Grand Island Thursday afternoon.

GIFD Division Chief Tim Hiemer said a 100-pound propane tank caught fire at the construction site of the Nebraska Building. A man standing on scaffolding above the tank suffered burns to his face. His wounds were superficial, but he was taken to the hospital as a precaution.

With propane still flowing, firefighters said it was a difficult blaze to put out. "Normally you hit something with water and it goes out, this, we would actually extinguish it, but it would reignite, the metal on the tank was hot enough to reignite the propane, so we actually had to physically shut the valve down to stop the fire," said Chief Hiemer. "We want to overwhelm the fire, that's how you get a quick knockdown and maintain a low amount of damage.”

He said most of the damage was to plywood framing on the building.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 239601891 - wowt.com/a?a=239601891
Gray Television, Inc.