Update: Test Results Reveal Omaha Boy Died Of Bronchopneumonia

Family and friends of 10-year-old Sydney Kola now have some explanation into what caused his sudden death in January.

Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine said the results of the test were finished on Wednesday and confirmed that the cause of the boy's death could be blamed on acute Bronchopneumonia.

Bronchopneumonia is a bacterial type of pneumonia.

Kola collapsed in his apartment near 175th and Maple around 12:30 a.m. on January 11th. His mother called 911. Kola was first taken to Methodist Women’s Hospital, then Creighton University Hospital where he passed away about 6 a.m.

Kola complained of flu-like symptoms in the hours before he collapsed. "The symptoms that we were aware of was diarrhea, he was suffering from fatigue and I think the other symptom was vomiting," said Douglas County Chief Deputy Marty Bilek.

Bilek said Sydney was a Kenyan national who had been in the United States about seven months to live with his mother, who has been a U.S. resident for several years.

Sydney was a student at Omaha's King Science and Technology Magnet Center.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 203632921 - wowt.com/a?a=203632921
Gray Television, Inc.