Breaking Omaha News, Weather and Sports. Nebraska News. | WOWT.com

Toxic Mercury Spilled In Lincoln Classroom

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

A small spill of mercury has forced the Lincoln school district to call in a contractor to clean up the highly toxic liquid metal.

Pound Middle School principal Chris Deibler said a science teacher had brought in the mercury to show students, which Deibler says isn't
supposed to happen.

Someone dropped the vial, and the mercury spilled into a puddle no bigger than a quarter. Deibler says the teacher cleaned it up but didn't report the incident.

Deibler says he learned of the spill when he was called by a student's parent.

Health officials don't expect the students suffered any ill effects, because the spill was small and their exposure was limited.

District officials wouldn't discuss whether the teacher faces any disciplinary action.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 151103665 - wowt.com/a?a=151103665