Arrest Made In 2011 Homicide, Mother Speaks Out

By: WOWT Email
By: WOWT Email

An Omaha man clung to life for nearly a year after being shot in 2011 but succumbed to his injuries. On Monday, police announced the man responsible for the suffering and death has been arrested.

Damian Cleghorn and another woman were both shot near North High School in November, 2011.

Cleghorn held on until August, 2012 when he died, ultimately from his shooting injuries.

On Monday, Omaha Police announced that 22-year-old Laron Jones was arrested and charged with 2nd degree murder, 2 counts of use of a weapon to commit a felony and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Channel Six spoke exclusively with Cleghorn’s mother, Sheryl. She says was on her way to buy a headstone for her son, when she got a call from police saying they'd made an arrest in her son's murder.

“I started screaming and praising God. I did, I really did. All I could say was thank you Jesus.”

She spent nine months caring for Cleghorn after he was shot twice, before he passed away at home. Her son’s nickname was “DayDay” and he affectionately called people he came into contact with “Bighead.”

“He was a teddy bear everybody loved.” If he saw you he’d hug you, if he wasn't calling you big head he was giving you love.”

She’s no stranger to violence. Sheryl’s other son and her mother have also been shot and killed. She credits police for working hard to solve the murders.

“They're good guys. They're job is hard, that's what people don't understand. And as many murders as we have in Omaha they're overloaded.”

She also says she only wants justice for the man who killed her son.

Police have not released the mug shot of Laron Jones.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 185935882 -
Gray Television, Inc.