Substandard Housing Help

Many people live on limited budgets. Some are more limited than most. When they find themselves in a tough situation and in substandard housing it's sometimes tough to get help.

Damon Starks complained about his rental home. Starks says no one should have to live like this, "We wash dishes the water drains comes out that pipe, that drain that's where its coming from and my mother in laws room there be snakes coming in from the outside to the inside."

Starks also claims the house is covered with lead based paint. He did complain to the city, but withheld the rent from the landlord. That's against the law and that got Starks evicted.

We don't know what led up to this situation or what condition the house was in before Starks moved in, but before the situation gets this extreme tenants can ask for help.

Teresa Coleman-Hunter is the Executive Director with Family Housing Advisory services. Teresa says, "The first is the find out can this can be rectified and will they make the changes will they clean up the place will they do the things that need to be done and of course there's things the tenant might have done as well and the tenant has to make sure that they're doing what they are supposed to do for their property, too."

Teresa also says there are others who are living in substandard housing. Her agency will even contact the landlord on the tenants behalf, but it's best to get some advice before things go bad and you end up getting evicted.

If you need help with your tenant/landlord situation don't withhold rent. You can call Family Housing Advisory Services at 402-934-6675.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 270810941 -
Gray Television, Inc.