Firefighters battled an apartment fire in Springfield, Nebraska Thursday morning.
Crews found the three-story structure on Spruce Street fully engulfed in flames when they arrived just before 10 a.m. Smoke could be seen from Interstate 80.
Quick work did save a life. “The dog's name is Stephie, the good news is we got the dog out,” said neighbor Steve Zink. “The dog was in the garage barking and a policeman showed up and moved the dog to another building." Zink said he'll take care of Stephie until the owners of the apartment building, who are out of the country, return.
The Red Cross is helping displaced residents with food, clothing and shelter. No word yet on what sparked the fire.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.