Parents of an OPS elementary school student is complaining that going back to school this week was a downright cold experience for her child. Hanna Roberts, a 5th grader says, " I just stuck my hands in my pocket after I put my coat on."
Tracy and Henry Roberts say their eleven year old daughter Hanna got a chilly reception after holiday break. Not from the staff a Pawnee Elementary but the south end of the building itself.
Tracy Roberts says, "The art teacher told me she had them do jumping jacks and wear coats to keep warm to keep the blood flowing and that kind of stuff to get them through the 45 minute period." Tracy says she asked the instructor about room temperature and on Tuesday it was 52.
Today Tracy took a photo of the classroom thermostat reading about 63 degrees. The instructor also had a space heater in the art room. Henry Roberts says, " Hats off to the teacher for trying to do the best she can to provide a good environment for the students."
However Henry says a space heater in an art room makes him a little uncomfortable. Roberts says," You have kids there and you have art supplies and papers and glue."
Tracy says she would have taken her daughter more winter clothes earlier this week but parents weren't notified of any heat issue in the school. Tracy Roberts says, " I think I’m more upset that they didn't inform us. If I would have got a note home saying this is the situation I think I would have been ok."
The Roberts says their daughter's jumping jacks should be in gym not art class where students got a crash course is blood circulation earlier this week.
Omaha Public School spokesman Todd Andrews tells Fact Finders, " Pawnee school experienced an issue with part of its heating system." He says, "Staff immediately called maintenance... And additional measures were taken to keep students safe and warm.
The problem has been fixed."
He declined to say why parents were not notified earlier in the week.