Woman Wakes To Her Dogs Barking and Her Home On Fire

More Video...

A south Omaha woman credits her five dogs with saving her life early Monday morning after her house caught fire.

Maria Trujillo tells us she was asleep when her dogs' barking woke her up just after 4 a.m. She says she got up and saw smoke pouring out the back of her home near 12th and Castelar.

A neighbor had called 911 by the time Trujillo got out of the house. When Omaha fire crews arrived, they got the flames under control in a matter of minutes.

"And I told them you know my puppies are inside the house," said Trujillo.

Fire fighters carried four dogs to safety. The fifth dog did not make it out alive.

In tears, Trujillo said, "They saved my life, I love my puppies."

Disaster Relief Services from Red Cross were on scene assisting Trujillo and fire crews, who had to return just before 7 a.m. when the fire reignited. No word yet on what may have sparked the flames.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 250585241 - wowt.com/a?a=250585241
Gray Television, Inc.