Recalled Oven Range Fire

A Papillion family has a close call when their three year old electric range turned on by itself. That's what Teresa Smith believes happened a week ago Saturday evening when her husband was home with the kids.

Teresa said, "The back burner registered five and it started a grocery ad I had set on the stove on fire. When my husband threw the burning ad in the sink my kids started yelling daddy there's flames on the inside."

Teresa's husband pulled the range outside. She checked the Internet and found several Frigidaire models had been recalled.

A Consumer Product Safety Commission alert warns that on those models the surface hearting elements can turn on spontaneously without being switched on.

Teresa said Frigidaire first accepted then rejected her claim that the model is on the the recall list and that her range turned on by itself.

However Steve Williams of All Appliance investigated and by late Monday Teresa received a voucher for $1200 to purchase a new Frigidaire electric range. Williams said there had been some mis-communication with the manufacturer he was able to clear up so Teresa could get an oven before Thanksgiving.

She said cooking a turkey on a George Foreman grill would have been a challenge.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 110118854 -
Gray Television, Inc.