Omaha Fire Offers Lessons

An Omaha family is without a home after a young member of the family playing with matches started the house on fire.

The victims of the fire on Thursday lost everything and it’s even more painful to deal with after officials revealed the damage was caused by one of the children playing with matches.

Crystal Brown and her son escaped from the burning home after she woke up from taking a nap.

Crystal said, “I smelled the smoke, woke up from a nap. He fell asleep around two o’clock then I took a nap. I smelled the smoke and went back there and he said, ‘my room was on fire,’ so I saw my bed and everything on fire in my room.”

Over at the Child Saving Institute, fire safety is taught to day care children at a very early age.

The CSI’s Lisa Blunt said, “We talk to them about staying away from hot things that hurt you, paying attention to smoke alarms. If a smoke alarm goes off we have to leave the building as fast as we can. We do lots of fire drills and emphasize safety but the first line of defense is supervision.”

What happened in the fire at Crystal Brown’s home near 42nd and Redick was unfortunate but it could have been tragic. No one was injured.

Crystal is a single mother. She has three other children who were in daycare at the time of the fire.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 256761691 - wowt.com/a?a=256761691