Quick action by Omaha police saved two families and the apartment building they share. Improperly disposed of smoking materials was apparently the cause of a fire that broke out about 4:30 a.m. Sunday.
An officer patrolling the area of South 15th and Hickory streets smelled smoke and saw flames. He was joined by another officer in waking the four adults and three children in the building and getting them to safety.
Damage was minor so both families were able to return to their units.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.