A good neighbor kept a bad situation from getting worse Saturday afternoon. An elderly woman apparently had food cooking on the stove when she left her Omaha home. The neighbor heard the smoke alarm and went to investigate. He found smoke and flames and called 911.
OFD told Channel 6 News the neighbor's quick action allowed them to put out the fire at 25th and Marcy, just south of Leavenworth, before it was able to cause much damage.
The neighbor originally feared the woman may have been trapped, but the house was unoccupied.