The La Vista Volunteer Fire Department hosted its annual open house Sunday afternoon, showcasing some interesting fire prevention information.
Kids learned the proper way to escape from a smoke-filled building and watched as firefighters performed a Jaws of Life demonstration in the department parking lot near 84th and Harrison.
It was a learning experience for both parents and their children. “It’s nice for the public to see and the kids to learn,” said Kevin Jensen. “They have all kinds of activities that are fun, but also teaching them how to act in a fire emergency.”
“If there's ever a fire I know what to do because they showed me how to do all the fire safety rules and stuff,” said his son, Devin Jensen.
OPPD also took part with an electrical safety demonstration. Workers fried hotdogs to illustrate what can happen to the human body if it’s electrocuted.
The event was held in conjunction with National Fire Prevention Week. For more information on National Fire Prevention Week, click on the link below.