Iowa Farmer Dies After Anhydrous Ammonia Leaks

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

A 74-year-old farmer has died after anhydrous ammonia leaked from a tank in central Iowa.

Authorities say a hose broke, allowing the fertilizer out of the tank on Saturday morning. The accident occurred on the east side of Pilot Mound in northwestern Boone County.

Richard Shaw, of Ogden, was pronounced dead at the scene. His 54-year-old son, Michael Shaw, was taken to a Des Moines hospital.

A sheriff's deputy, two paramedics and another rescuer have been
treated for exposure.

Anhydrous ammonia can damage skin, eyes and lungs.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 132914538 - wowt.com/a?a=132914538