Back in March, one-year-old Mathew Guevara was rushed to the hospital.
His mother knew something just wasn't right.
It was a life-saving decision.
Now, it's a story of survival that's spreading.
Monday, Matthew was in his living room at home, playing with his brother, Peter.
This was just days after being released from Children's Hospital, where he was treated for necrotizing fasciitis, a flesh-eating bacteria that often kills.
"The feeling of losing your child, and you knowing that, and confirming that, and then the turnaround that he surviving, and he survived this, is just a miracle," says Therahlee Guevara, Mathew's mother.
When Matthew first went to the hospital, doctors didn't know what the outcome would be.
His situation drew support from strangers all over the world, including some who have seen the worst of it.
"We had a lady from England who lost her son, and she is so happy and overjoyed with Matthew's story. She's gone through what I've gone through and doesn't want this, like me, I don't want this to happen again to anyone," Therahlee says.
Matthew is still around though.
As he's slowly regaining control of his body, he's climbing, and playing with his favorite toy cars.
The Guevara household is looking froward to getting past this nightmare.
"You look at him every day, and you just, a lot of people don't survive this, and that's the tough thing, the fact that he survived," Therahlee says.
Doctors treat the condition by cutting off skin of the affected areas.
There was a concern at one time that amputation would be needed.
Matthew's mother is still worrying about the scar he'll have for the rest of his life around his pelvic section.
Doctors still don't know where he caught the infection.