The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission is urging hunters to use caution to prevent wildfires.
Spring turkey-hunting season is now in progress. The commission says hunters in the field should be aware of continued drought conditions that have resulted in many grass fires across the state.
The commission offered the following tips:
- Don't throw cigarettes, matches or any smoking material from vehicles onto road shoulders or into grassland.
- Never leave campfires unattended. When extinguishing, douse with water and stir to make sure the campfire is completely out.
- Don't start campfires if the National Weather Service has issued a red flag warning for your area.
- Be careful with lanterns, stoves and heaters.
- Don't drive vehicles off roads and trails into grassland when conditions are dry.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.