Gray and brown smokes was seen for miles as fire units from from Murray, Nehawka, Avoca, Weeping Water and Plattsmouth fought a large grass fire Wednesday afternoon.
The Cassgram reports Murray Assistant Fire Chief Chris Spangler says 15 to 20 acres of bean stubble and corn stalks burned. There were no structures in the fire’s path.
Call logs show units were first called to Highway 1 and 84th Street at 3:40pm. The Plattsmouth airport weather station log shows the wind was northwest at the time with gusts up to 36 mph. Murray command radioed the fire was under control at 4:35pm but firefighters continued to hit hotspots for as long as 90 minutes after that.
The fire started along Highway 1 and burned to about the half-mile line. From where the fire started, it’s suspected that a carelessly discarded cigarette was the cause, says Spangler.
Designed by Gray Digital Media