Students Evacuated Due To Propane Leak

Students at Conestoga Junior-Senior High School near Murray, Nebraska were evacuated Friday due to a propane leak outside the building.

School officials smelled a suspicious odor just before 11 a.m. and called 911. “Through that whole process we had a propane leak outside of the building and because of the temperature and everything else that is involved in that whole process we had kind of a propane smell,” said Conestoga Schools Superintendent Beth Johnsen.

Fire officials believe maintenance work done on the propane system Thursday may have caused the leak.

Students and staff were evacuated as a precaution and taken to the elementary school in Murray before being sent home early. Because the school buses were parked near the leak and couldn’t be started because of a possible explosion, buses from Plattsmouth, Louisville and Weeping Water schools were used to transport the children and staff.

“The big problem is though all their cars are still parked up there in the parking lot and until we're allowed to go back into the building to get keys, they can go out and move their vehicles, they are stuck up there," said Johnsen.

No injuries were reported, though one student did suffer an asthma attack.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 190410541 - wowt.com/a?a=190410541
Gray Television, Inc.