Plattsmouth fire caused determined. The Cassgram reports a space heater too close to a mattress was the cause of the fire that made a modular home at 412 4th Avenue unlivable Monday morning. Plattsmouth Fire Chief Mike Wilson worked with a state fire marshal investigator to pinpoint the cause.
The house was under renovation and several items were temporarily placed in the room with the operational space heater, says Wilson. The mattress ignited and about half the house incurred fire damage and there was heavy smoke and heat damage elsewhere in the residence.
The structure damage estimate is $60,000 with another $40,000 to contents.
The family of four was awakened by the pet dog. There were functioning smoke detectors too, says Wilson.