The Omaha Fire Department would like to encourage all citizens during Fire Prevention Week to promote fire safety and prevention.
Department personnel will be out in the community this week visiting schools and community groups speaking about fire safety. The National Fire Protection Association is dedicating this week to promote awareness of kitchen fires.
Cooking is the number one cause of fires in the home, and a significant contributor to home fire deaths. Other causes include faulty furnaces and unattended candles.
Please take time to inspect these items in the home as well as providing a home escape plan for adults and children.
The Omaha Fire Department is also offering a free smoke/carbon monoxide installation to homeowners as part of its “Operation Home Safe”.