Authorities believe a worn electrical cord from a lamp caused a house fire that killed three children and an adult in Lake City, Iowa early Tuesday morning.
Lake City Fire Chief Mel Alcox says the cord got stuck in the cushions of a couch, overheated and started the couch on fire. He says the room was being renovated with exposed walls and insulation, which caused the fire to quickly spread throughout the house.
A police officer on patrol noticed smoke coming from the southern edge of town about 1:45 a.m. and he followed the smoke to the house. The intense heat and smoke prevented the officer from getting inside.
The victims were identified as 22-year-old Tyra Pierson and her 10-month-old son Xavier. The other victims were Tyra's sister and brother, 8-year-old Madison and 3-year-old Wyatt. Lake City Police Chief Bobby Rist said they died of smoke and soot inhalation.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.