Major damage to Cass county home in a Sunday afternoon fire. The residents were home, heard crackling in the ceiling and 911 was called.
The Cassgram reports Plattsmouth Volunteer Fire Department responded to 19216 Spyglass Court at Buccaneer Bay just after 12pm. Mutual aid calls were answered by the Murray Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department and the Offutt Air Force Base Fire Department to fight the fire.
The fire started in a fireplace chimney, said Plattsmouth Fire Chief Mike Wilson. Flames were in the attic and on the roof, and spread quickly when the shingles on the up-wind side of the structure caught fire.
Firefighters used a lot of water to put out the fire, said Wilson. The roof was destroyed and there was heavy water and smoke damage throughout the house. Neighboring homes were not damaged.
Smoldering contents kept Plattsmouth fire units on scene until 4:30pm. Louisville and Cedar Creek volunteer firemen answered the mutual aid call to help with the overhaul process.
Two firefighters were checked out by EMS and released on scene. One firefighter had suffered an electrical shock as siding was being removed. The power meter had been removed from the structure, but ice formed and apparently became conductive. Wilson said that in his many years of firefighting it was the first time he encountered a situation like that.
The American Red Cross assisted the family of four.