Spring is on its way which means more people will be dusting off their grills.
The Bellevue Fire Department says part of that process should be checking things over to make sure your family is safe.
It was an explosion that rattled the neighborhood when Paul Stout fired up his grill Tuesday.
Several neighbors called 911 to report what had happened.
"It was like getting hit, and smacked in the chest and that and just knocked me against the wall. It kind of knocked the wind out of me a little bit, and singed my eyebrows a bit," Stout says.
Stout had just started the grill and walked away when it happened.
The explosion from a propane grill ignited a nearby smoker with another tank.
Now, Stout's house is in shambles.
The Bellevue Fire Department says these kinds of accidents don't happen often, but come easily if you're not careful.
"You need to ensure that you're following the manufacturer's guidelines, keeping it in a well-ventilated place, outdoors, away from the house," says Steve Wagner, Bellevue Batallion Chief.
When you pull your grill back out this season, make sure it hasn't been worn down since its last use.
"Ensure that your propane tank isn't dented, rusting, any obstructions when you go to connect your supply hose," Wagner says.
The Bellevue Fire Department adds when you go to start up your grill, make sure you open the lid before turning on the gas. Any kind of gas buildup can also cause an explosion.
Also, if you apply soapy water to any connections to the propane tank and see bubbling, there could be a leak.
If you ever smell gas, do not start the grill and call a professional.