Fire Chases Residents From Columbus Resource Center

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

A fire caused smoke and water damage to Columbus Family Resource Center and forced the evacuation of its residents.

The Columbus Telegram says the fire occurred Saturday morning.

The center is home to nearly 20 entities, including Catholic Charities and the Platte County Food Pantry.

Columbus Fire Chief Dean Hefti says the fire alarm and sprinkler system were activated around 4:30 a.m. after a heater malfunctioned.

Most of the flames were extinguished by the sprinkler system before firefighters arrived, Hefti says, but the third floor had significant smoke and water damage.

The American Red Cross says 14 residents and four Catholic Charities staff members were evacuated.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 196758351 - wowt.com/a?a=196758351
Gray Television, Inc.