Update: Cause Determined In Scheels Village Pointe Fire

By: WOWT Email
By: WOWT Email

An Omaha sporting goods store won't reopen until Monday morning after a fire broke out early Sunday morning.

Firefighters were called to Scheels at Village Pointe around 3 a.m. When they got there they discovered there was a fire on the second floor in a shelving unit in the fishing department. Two sprinkler heads were activated.

Investigators say an electrical malfunction ignited nearby combustibles which helped the flames to spread. Officials say there’s heavy smoke and water damage to everything on the second floor, especially on the north side of the building.

A woman who answered the phone Sunday afternoon said the store will remain closed and won't reopen until 10 a.m. Monday.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 184607301