Omaha City Councilman Pete Festersen's on-again, off-again bid for congress is off again. He says he won't challenge for the Second District seat currently held by Lee Terry.
Festersen said in October that he planned to run in 2014.
He told WOWT 6 News, “There’s widespread dissatisfaction with Congress and its inability to address our nation’s challenges. Change is needed and we need people in Washington who can work together to get things done. That’s been my track record in business and in public service and will be my approach to cutting spending, growing our economy and protecting seniors.”
Festersen said a few months earlier that it wasn't the right time to run but in October he said the deciding factor was the government shutdown. He said he was frustrated with the inability of Congress to address the situation.
On Monday, he said he was calling off the bid. He released the following statement.
I feel a strong commitment to public service and a strong sense that change is needed to address our nation’s challenges.
One of the most important things in my life that I’ve always worked hard to achieve, however, is maintaining balance between my business, public service, and my young family. And it’s become clear to me that it’s not possible to properly balance the demands of a full-time Congressional campaign with my responsibilities as a father, business owner, and President of the Omaha City Council.
It is the right time for moderate, practical-minded people to make a difference, but I’ve determined it’s not the right time for me or my young family to run for national office. Therefore, I will not proceed with a formal announcement in January nor will I be a candidate for Congress in 2014.
I want to thank my family and supporters for all of their encouragement and apologize to all those who were energized by the prospect of our candidacy.
I’m hopeful that by taking this action now it will allow other qualified candidates to consider the election that is still a year away.