Man's best friend is a true hero in an Indianapolis home that was destroyed by fire.
A young boy-who is hearing impaired-was asleep in the house. He did not hear the fire alarms going off.
Thanks to the family's pit bull, he was saved along with everyone else.
13-year-old Nick Lam was taking a nap.
His mom, Lindsay, says, "He was born profoundly deaf and he got his first cochlear implant when he was 22 months."
But to sleep, he took the implants out, giving him no chance at hearing the smoke detectors going off. Fortunately, the family's dog, Ace, was inside and started licking Nick's face.
Nick says, "I was like "stop it" what? You want to be fed? I thought he wanted to be fed or go outside."
Ace kept it up-until Nick got up, too.
The family got out to safety-and even got the family cat out, too.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.