Dog Saves Family From Fire

By: Jake Wasikowski
By: Jake Wasikowski

“I don’t know what we would’ve done without him,” Julie Tyler said. “He’s a good dog.”

Julie and her six-year-old daughter had just lay down for bed when a fire sparked up in the kitchen. They’d only had their three-year-old white boxer named Cash for a few months.

“The dog had gone to bed with me, so he got up and started barking. And I got up to see what he was barking at, and the dining room was full of smoke,” Julie said. “And there was a fire starting by the stove on the wall by the oven in the kitchen.”

Julie and her daughter were able to escape, but the flames quickly spread throughout the house. Cash, scared to come out, stayed inside until rescue crews carried him out. The dog has spent many hours in an oxygen chamber trying to recover from inflammation in his lungs.

“They’ve tried to take him out, but he coughs really hard, so they had to put him back in,” Julie said.

Julie’s husband Scott was gone at the time of the fire but quickly returned. He says he’d never owned a dog like Cash before.

“I just can’t put it into words, man,” Scott said. “Like I said, I hope he makes it. I hope he makes it.”

The Tylers say they’ve got a long road ahead of them to rebuilding their lives, but one of their main priorities is for their hero to come home all right.

“I don’t know what would’ve happened if it wouldn’t have been for him barking,” Julie said.

The insurance company has yet to come in and estimate the damage of the home. Three of the family’s cats were killed in the fire.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 125715118