Convicted Shooter Gets Lengthy Sentence

Shooter gets two consecutive prison sentences. In May, 64-year-old Steven I. Harrod of Louisville pleaded no contest to assault in the first degree (Class II Felony) and use of a firearm to commit a felony (Class IC Felony). Harrod shot 32-year-old Michael Green in the face on January 14th of this year in Louisville.

The Cassgram reports yesterday, Cass County District Court Judge Randall Rehmeier sentenced Harrod to 20 years to 30 years on the assault count and 10 to 30 years on the firearm conviction.

Going into court Harrod already knew there was no chance of probation as the Class 1C Felony carried a mandatory five year prison sentence.

As part of the plea agreement, the prosecution remained silent at the sentencing hearing.

Julie Bear of the public defender’s office said Harrod was “very sorry” about what happened and before the hearing she gave Cass County Attorney Nathan Cox an “apology letter” to give to Green that Harrod had written some time ago.

Bear asked that the sentence Harrod received would allow him to, at some point, live his final years outside the prison system.

She spoke about his service in the U.S. Marine Corps during the Vietnam War and how Harrod’s anger issues could be related to the post traumatic stress disorder symptoms he has had.

Rehmeier said Harrod’s medal-winning service to his country is something Green “can be proud of” but he has to weigh all factors and the injuries to Green were “very, very significant.”

Rehmeier read through Harrod’s criminal record that dated back to 1980. He noted how it included “significant history” that involved alcohol abuse with some drug use and assaultive behavior. The judge said Harrod’s past involvement with the possession and use of firearms “poses some threat to other people.”

The January disturbance was at Harrod’s residence in Louisville where Green and his girlfriend were tenants. A dispute over the use of Harrod’s vehicle apparently started the argument.

During the hearing in May, Cox said Harrod first pointed a .44 handgun toward Green’s girlfriend and then fired at Green when Green tried to push the handgun away. The bullet entered just below Green`s left nostril causing facial and dental injuries, struck his left carotid artery and remains lodged in the back of his skull. A doctor would have testified Green lives with a high risk of stroke and that surgery to remove the bullet would be life threatening, said Cox.

Counting the time Harrod has already served and with the state’s sentencing laws, Rehmeier said Harrod would first be eligible for parole in 17½ years with mandatory release at 30 years.

Monday’s court proceedings also served as a restitution hearing but Rehmeier ruled that Harrod, who had been on military disability for several years, has no ability to make any payments to Green.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 213977161 -
Gray Television, Inc.