Road construction season is upon us, and the city is ready to repave a number of streets across the metro. About $5 million will be spent for resurfacing and repairs from the river all the way to 205th Street.
The shoulders are cracking on 180th street between Frances St. & Shadow Ridge Drive because of heavy traffic and other factors. It's the farthest west resurfacing job this summer.
Eighteen major street resurfacing projects are set to start. On Tuesday, the city council approved more than $5.3 million worth of work.
"We have tremendous needs in our community in terms of infrastructure and street work and we were blessed to have a very light winter so we don't have a lot of the problems we've had in previous years. But we need to maintain this ongoing program of upgrading our streets so they stay smooth and we get to as many of them as possible," said Omaha City Councilman Pete Festersen.
Andrea Chatelain’s District 66 neighborhood, between Cedar St. & Arbor St. from 84th St. to 90th St. is one of 11 residential areas set for resurfacing. She says their road would benefit from the work, but wouldn't help stop the hazards created by the heavy traffic constantly on their streets.
"However I think some drivers do wiz down the streets and maybe having the road resurfaced and not having some of those natural speed bumps might make them go a little faster which is not good when you have a 2 year old," Chatelain explained.
Councilman Festersen says construction will start soon and should finish in the fall.
Here's a list of the 2012 Major Street Resurfacing:
1. (SB) 72nd St. from Ames Ave. to Lawndale Dr.
2. Military Ave. from 72nd St. to Sprague St.
3. Military Ave. from 46th St. to Hamilton St.
4. 90th St. from Q St. to L St.
5. Western Ave. from 72nd St. to 76th St.
6. Martha St. from 16th St. to 24th St.
7. 50th St. from L St. to G St.
8. F St. from 50th St. to 5334 F St.
9. (SB) Regency Pkwy. from Pacific St. to W. Dodge Rd.
10. 96th St. from Paddock Rd. to W. Center Rd.
11. Old Maple Rd. from 108th St. to 120th St.
12. 132nd St. from W. Maple. Rd. to Fort St.
13. 180th St. from Frances St. to Shadow Ridge Dr.
14. (EB) L St. from 50th St. to 56th St.
15. (WB) L St. from 52nd St. to 60th St.
16. (EB) Ed Creighton Blvd. from I-480 to Park Ave.
17. (WB) Ed Creighton Blvd. from I-480 to Park Ave.
18. Ed Creighton Blvd. from Park Ave. to 32nd Ave.
Here’s a list of 2012 Residential Area Resurfacing:
1. Madison St. to Monroe St. from 42nd St. to 48th St.
2. Ohio St. to Corby St. from 96th Dr. to 98th Ave.
3. Redman Ave. to Fort St. from 44th Ave. to 47th Ave.
4. Arbor St. to Cedar St. from 84th St. to 90th St.
5. X St. to Roxbury Dr. from 108th St. to 114th St.
6. Pacific St. to Leavenworth St. from 50th St. to 52nd St.
8. Mockingbird Dr. from 98th St. to 107th St.
9. Lakeview Dr. from 84th St. to 90th St.
10. Walnut St. from 49th St. to Saddle Creek Rd.
11. Fowler Ave. from 87th St. to Browne St.