Channel 6 News learned Wednesday the city prosecutor has put on hold charges facing the three Johnson brothers in connection with the videotaped arrests last month that led to the firing of four Omaha police officers due to excessive force.
The brothers were arrested at 33rd and Seward March 21st on a variety of charges from obstruction to disorderly conduct. City Prosecutor David Smalheiser said he will defer the charges until the other investigations are complete. The charges could still be filed again later. By state statute, the city prosecutor has 18 months to decide whether to file charges on a misdemeanor.
Octavius and Jacquez Johnson were due in court Friday. Demetrius already went to court since the obstruction charge was tacked on to an outstanding warrant.
The county attorney is looking into whether the fired officers should face criminal charges. According to the mayor's office, two of the officers will have hearings on Monday before the city's HR director.
Community members rallied Wednesday afternoon outside of the Omaha Civic Center, pushing for Smalheiser to make a more definite decision regarding the Johnson brothers.
“We've seen (OPD Police Chief Todd) Schmaderer start to take this seriously," said activist D'Shawn Cunningham. "We want to see other people in city government start to take this seriously. So while this is like a half-step in the right direction for Smalheiser, we want to see him take the full step and just agree to not ever bring up the charges."