Investigators poring over photos and videos from the Boston Marathon bombing have an image of a man dropping off a bag containing one of the bombs.
Boston City Council President Stephen Murphy said Wednesday investigators saw the image on surveillance footage they got from a nearby department store. He doesn't know if investigators have identified the man.
Murphy said police officers involved in the probe say investigators have matched information from the surveillance footage with witness descriptions of someone leaving the scene.
Murphy said officers are chasing leads that could take them to the man. He said developing that information within the first 48 hours of the probe is a major breakthrough.
Earlier in the afternoon, CNN reported an arrest was made and that the suspect was expected in federal court in Boston. But two senior officials and another federal agent had some kind of miscommunication. An arrest has not yet been made.
Law enforcement agencies have pleaded for the public to come forward with photos, videos or any information that might help them solve the twin bombings that killed three people and wounded more than 170 on Monday.
Investigators circulated information about the bombs, which involved kitchen pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails and other lethal shrapnel. The FBI said nobody had claimed responsibility.