Second Boston Bombing Suspect Captured

By: The Associated Press Email
By: The Associated Press Email

The second suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings was taken into custody in Watertown, Massachusetts Friday night. Nineteen-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev had been hiding in a boat parked in the driveway of a residence.

Police said the man who lives in the home went outside and noticed blood near the boat. He looked under the tarp covering the vessel and saw a man covered in blood. The resident went back inside and called police.

Tsarnaev was taken to a hospital in serious condition for treatment of undisclosed injuries. He may have been wounded by gunfire either Friday night or Thursday night when he and his brother were being chased by law enforcement. Multiple gunshots and a round of blasts were heard earlier Friday night in Watertown amid the search for Tsarnaev. Police said he exchanged gunfire with law enforcement for an hour while holed up in the boat.

Three people were taken into custody Friday night for questioning at a New Bedford, Massachusetts housing complex where Dzhokhar Tsarnaev may have lived. Police Lt. Robert Richard said a private complex of off-campus housing at the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth was searched by federal authorities Friday evening. Richard said the FBI took two males and one female into custody for questioning. He said Dzhokhar may have resided at or was affiliated with the housing complex. He is registered at the school.

President Obama said the capture of Dzhokhar closes what he called "an important chapter in this tragedy." Obama, speaking from the White House, said the nation owes a debt of gratitude to law enforcement officials and the people of Boston for their help in the search for the men. The president said there are still many unanswered questions about the Boston bombings, including whether the two had help from others. He is urging the public to not rush to judgment about their motivations.

Boston and its suburbs were on total lockdown Friday as police hunted for Tsarnaev after his accomplice brother was killed in a stunning chain of events that left a Massachusetts Institute of Technology campus police officer dead and a transit officer critically wounded.

During a desperate effort to flee after their photos were released by the FBI, the brothers carjacked a Mercedes SUV and told the driver they were the men behind Monday's double-blast attack at the Boston Marathon and had just killed a campus security officer. The driver was released unhurt.

The older brother, 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was killed after a wild chase and firefight, but Dzhokhar was still at large in a densely populated area. Adding to the nightmare, an explosive was found in Boston and disabled.

Three dozen FBI agents were surrounding the Cambridge home where the brothers, of Chechen origin, grew up after moving to the U.S. a decade ago.

Across the area, as police cars screamed down streets and helicopters hovered overhead, authorities urged the public to stay inside and keep their doors locked to anyone but law-enforcement officers.

The lockdown initially affected more than 300,000 people in Cambridge, Watertown, Newton, Brighton, Allston and Belmont, but by 8 a.m., the entire city of Boston was paralyzed.

Watertown, where the second suspect was last seen, was the epicenter of the search. Frightened residents were trapped in their homes as convoys of heavily armed officers and troops arrived by the hour.

Harvard University, Boston University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Emerson University were all closed and students were told to stay inside.

The overnight violence began near MIT about five hours after the FBI released surveillance photos of the two men suspected of planting two bombs near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing three and wounding more than 180 others.

Tips about the identity of the suspects were still pouring in when the Tsarnaev brothers fatally shot MIT police officer Sean Collier, 26, in his vehicle at 10:20 p.m. Thursday.

The brothers then carjacked a Mercedes SUV, holding the driver captive for a half-hour while they tried to use his cash card to get money from three ATMs. At first, they put in the wrong number, then they took out $800 before being told they had exceeded the withdrawal limit.

The man was released unharmed at a gas station in Cambridge. As they sped toward Watertown, a police chase ensued and the suspects tossed explosive devices out the window.

A transit officer, Richard Donahue, 33, was injured during the pursuit. He is out of surgery and has been stabilized, but remains in critical condition at Mount Auburn Hospital. Donohue graduated in the same police academy class as Collier.

Dzhokhar's father, in Russia, told The Associated Press he was "a true angel" and an "intelligent boy," describing him as a medical student who was expected to visit for the holidays. He insists his sons "were set up."

In Toronto, an aunt of the two suspects says the older one recently became a devout Muslim who prayed five times a day. She said she doesn't believe they could have been involved in Monday's attack.

An uncle who lives in Maryland says he's "ashamed" of his nephews. He urged the 19-year-old to turn himself in and to "ask for forgiveness from the victims." When he was asked what might have provoked the bombings, Ruslan Tsarni said, "Being losers, hatred to those who were able to settle themselves." He said his nephews had struggled in the U.S. and ended up "thereby just hating everyone."

The FBI removed a computer from the West New York, New Jersey home of the sister of the bombing suspects. Police say Ailina Tsarnaeva is cooperating in the investigation. They cordoned off the three-story brick building across the Hudson River from New York City.

Police say she told agents she hadn't been in contact with her brothers for a long time. West New York Police Director Michael Indri says the focus of the investigation was to confirm there was no contact and he's confident the FBI confirmed that.

Tsarnaeva, speaking earlier through a crack in the door, said she is sorry for the families that lost loved ones. She said she doesn't know what got into her brothers. At the same time, she said she doesn't know if it's true that her brothers were responsible.

The mother-in-law of Tamerlan Tsarnaev said her family is "sickened" by the horror he inflicted. Judith Russell's daughter Katherine was married to Tamerlan, who came to the U.S. from Russia. She said her family realizes they never really knew him. She said in a statement Friday the family can't begin to comprehend the tragedy.

The Russell family lives in a suburban neighborhood in North Kingstown, Rhode Island. Neighbor Paula Gillette said Katherine Russell left for college a few years ago and when she came back she would dress in Muslim garb with head coverings.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 203744271 -
Gray Television, Inc.