Update: Standoff Suspect in Custody

A man wanted on outstanding warrants was taken into custody in Council Bluffs Monday after engaging police in a standoff for approximately 45 minutes. He's identified as 29-year-old Kevin Bequette.

The incident began when members of the Omaha Metro Fugitive Task Force went to 1716 5th Avenue Monday morning in an attempt to locate the suspect.

As officers approached the property, Bequette ran into a detached garage behind the residence. Bequette barricaded himself inside the garage and refused to come out as ordered by police.

Investigators say he was also making comments about harming himself. Crisis Negotiators tried to talk Bequette into surrendering. That continued for approximately 45 minutes without success.

At approximately 10:30 a.m., officers smelled smoke coming from inside the garage. Authorities then forced their way into the garage and took Bequette into custody without any further incident.

Police say he had started a small fire inside the garage and there was evidence that he had attempted to open a natural gas line inside in the building. Damage to the garage structure was minimal.

Bequette was checked at the scene by Council Bluffs Fire Department Medics, but did not require any treatment. He was booked into Pottawattamie County Corrections on the following charges: 1. Parole Violation Warrant (Original charges were Arson 1st, Theft 1st and Attempted Burglary 3rd degree) 2. Criminal Mischief 3rd degree Warrant 3. Interference with Offical Acts.

In addition, police recovered two Honda automobiles that had been reported stolen. An investigation of the stolen vehicles is still in progress and additional charges are pending.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 261528731 - wowt.com/a?a=261528731
Gray Television, Inc.