Fire investigators were told that a defective appliance may have sparked a fire at an Omaha home Wednesday morning. Upon further investigation, it was discovered that an overloaded power strip is to blame.
When firefighters arrived at the home, near 63rd & Bedford at 7:54am, they found heavy smoke coming out the front and flames coming out the back. Crews were able to put out the fire quickly, but the home was left with substantial smoke damage.
The homeowner and four children were already out of the home before firefighters arrived.
Investigators found that an extension cord ran along the baseboard from one bedroom to another. It was coiled in a closet with clothing on top with a power strip attached. The power strip had a television set, a space heater, and small electronics plugged into it. Damage to the cord and power strip indicated it was overloaded.
Damage estimate was set at $48,000.