Update: Smoking Blamed For Latest Apartment Fire

By: WOWT Email
By: WOWT Email

Residents of an Omaha apartment complex were evacuated Friday morning because of fire blamed on a careless smoker.

Firefighters were called to the Westhaven Apartments at 116th and Burke just after 6 a.m. The fire was out in under 30 minutes, but two units are now unlivable. No major injuries were reported, but a few people were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

A resident in the unit where the fire broke out told investigators he was smoking in his room before falling asleep. He said he woke up about 4 a.m. and noticed his mattress smoldering.

The man said he attempted to put the fire out with several glasses of water before going back to sleep on the couch in the living room. It was two hours later that residents of that unit woke up to the smoke detector and found flames in the bedroom.

The American Red Cross is helping those in both units who were displaced. The building sustained an estimated $145,000 in damage.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 133228223 - wowt.com/a?a=133228223
Gray Television, Inc.