Another School Custodian Saves Student From Choking

By: WOWT Email
By: WOWT Email

For the second time in a week, a metro school custodian came to the aid of a student choking on their lunch.

Sixth-grader Nick Bierschenk was eating Tuesday at Hickory Hill Elementary School in Papillion when a nacho chip got stuck in his throat.

"I couldn't breathe, so I ran to a teacher," Nick said.

Nick went and alerted teacher's aide Gina Trout, and she tried to administer the Heimlich maneuver.

"Normally kids don't come and tap you on the shoulder," Trout said. "I turned around and his face was already getting red."

Trout did what she could, but the chip wouldn't budge. So she turned to a custodian in the lunch room, John "the Janitor" Mason.

"She wheeled him over to me and I noticed what was going on," Mason said.

After a third attempt at the Heimlich, the chip came out. Nick was certainly grateful.

"Later he came up and gave me a high five," Mason said.

The lunch options for Wednesday were an omelette, potato wedges and a cinnamon roll. So we asked Nick: what happens the next time beefy nachos are on the menu?

"I'll probably bring cold lunch next time," he said.

And more good news for Nick: we checked the lunch menu for all of March and beefy nachos are not on it.

A similar case was reported in the Westside school district this month. Omaha's Sunset Hills Elementary custodian Orlando Stubblefield saved first-grader Addison Hager from choking on a piece of salami by performing the Heimlich on February 17th.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 247267241 - wowt.com/a?a=247267241
Gray Television, Inc.