Accused Killer Waives Hearing

The man accused of killing a 93-year-old Omaha woman waived his preliminary hearing on Tuesday.

Nineteen-year-old Sergio Martinez-Perez made a brief court appearance and, with the help of an interpreter, opted to bypass the preliminary in the case.

Authorities say he beat, raped and murdered the woman we have referred to only as Louise out of respect for the family. Her funeral was held over the weekend.

Martinez-Perez is currently being held without bond.

Prosecutors said he had told them that on the night of the attack he was angry with women and was going to have sex with someone.

Louise was hospitalized after the attack and Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine filed a first-degree murder charge a day after she died from her injuries. The state dismissed sexual assault and burglary charges.

"It's horrific anytime someone takes a life," Kleine said last week. "The facts and circumstances of this case and the victim are particularly disturbing."


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 217636411 - wowt.com/a?a=217636411
Gray Television, Inc.