Residents escaped an Omaha house fire Tuesday morning, though two dogs and two cats died.
The fire at 22nd and Miami started in the kitchen. The stove was left on and caused a pot of grease to catch fire. A neighbor told Channel 6 News he heard the homeowner screaming, so he ran over and made sure the two adults and one child inside got out safely.
Two people were taken to the hospital to be treated for possible smoke inhalation. Crews managed to get the dogs out of the house, but they did not survive.
Due to the extensive damage, the house is considered unlivable. The Red Cross was contacted to help out the family.