A boy from Columbus, Nebraska is recovering after being burned in a house fire.
Tristan Kleckner's body bleeds regularly because more than 75 percent of it is now covered in scabs as his skin, most of it grafted, heals.
"He's came a long, long way,” says mom Cody Kleckner. "The hardest part was seeing him come out and not responding and not being able to hold him and tell him it's okay.”
Tristan's home caught fire while he slept on August 5th. Some friends of Tristan's brother were spending the night and were playing around lighting clothes on fire. The fire got out of control.
When firefighters rushed him from the home Tristan was barely alive. "It’s just one of those things a mother just never wants to see."
Tristan spent a month in a coma and he's now learning to walk once again. While he will heal physically, there are the emotional wounds that only a mother can heal.
"I want to die mom,” says Tristan.
"No, you don't," says Cody. Every day is difficult. "Seeing him the way he is." Every day is also rewarding. "I almost lost him three times and he's came a long, long way."
Tristan celebrated his fifth birthday at the Madonna Hospital, but with every step his best days are still ahead.
This is Fire Prevention Month and this story can be a good reminder for all of us on fire safety.
Cody has not worked in a month and the bills are piling up. They are asking for help. You can donate to the Tristan Kleckner Fund at either United Credit Union in Columbus or at First National Bank.
There will also be a fundraising dinner in Columbus at 5 p.m. October 25th at the Eagles Club. Cost is $5.