Wood Burning Stove Sparks South Omaha Fire

By: Katie Stukey Email
By: Katie Stukey Email

An Omaha Fire Captain tells WOWT a wood-burning stove is to blame for an early morning house fire on Pasadena Avenue near 14th Street.

Crews were called in just before 7 A.M. on Monday. Flames from the basement stove spread through the chimney and out the roof.

Most of the damage was contained to the chimney area, though fire fighters had to cut out a large area of the roof in order to douse the flames.

Fire Captain Mark Driscoll says the fire was only half the battle. With wind chills estimated as low as -30 at the time, the cold and ice also presented a significant obstacle. "We have to watch for slips and falls," Dricoll stated.

The two residents of the home are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 238867491 - wowt.com/a?a=238867491
Gray Television, Inc.