Council Bluffs police acted appropriately in responding to a call about a carjacking on New Years Day and no charges will be filed against officers according to Pottawattamie County Attorney Matt Wilber.
Wilber held a news conference Thursday morning to disclose his findings.
The county attorney said, "The purpose and scope of this report is to inform the public that the Pottawattamie County Attorney's office, in its capacity as the representative of the people of the state of Iowa, will be taking no action with regard to the shooting of Juan Cedillo and Kristian Harrod during an incident at 2130 Westside Drive on Jan. 1, 2006.
"As a result of the use of deadly force against Mr. Cedillo and Mr. Harrod, this matter was referred to my office for a review of the actions of the individuals involved in that incident. My review of this matter indicates no criminal wrongdoing on behalf of the police officers involved, or on behalf of Kristian Harrod who inflicted a gunshot wound to the head of Juan Cedillo during a struggle for Cedillo's weapon."
The incident began shortly after 11 p.m. on Sunday January 1.
Investigators say three people were in a car at a Council Bluffs Wal-Mart waiting for a fourth person to get off work when a man with a gun forced his way into their vehicle.
Council Bluffs Police Chief Keith Mehlin said earlier that the man, identified as 23-year-old Juan Cedillo, fired a shot through an open window of the car in the direction of a red or reddish-brown Bronco or Blazer and demanded to be driven to North Omaha.
During the ride Cedillo reportedly demanded money and 15-year-old Nicole Williams told him that she could get cash at her home at 22nd and Westside Drive. They drove to that residence where she went inside and called 911.
Chief Mehlin says when police arrived the suspect fired one shot and officers returned fire.
Cedillo was hit by a bullet as was the driver, Kristian Harrod of Council Bluffs. Both were taken to an Omaha hospital in critical condition. Both are now recovering.