Posted February 11
Channel Six Fact Finders are investigating two separate cases of two 13-year-old boys from Westside Middle School being accused of making "hit" lists of students.
A month ago, a 13-year-old student at Westside Middle School raised an alarm that sent him to the Douglas County Youth Center.
On January 16, according to police reports, investigators came to the school at the Principal's request. Officers were told there was a computer checked by tech support with a "want to kill" list.
When administrators called the mother of a 7th grader recently -- who doesn't want to be identified -- to say her child was on a "hit list" -- she made the assumption that it was from that case. But it wasn't. It happened a week after the previous case.
"I didn't know there were two lists," said the mom in an exclusive interview with Channel 6 News.
A different 13-year-old boy was behind the second "hit" list and her child's name was on it.
The boy was back in school as of Friday and she wants to know why.
Mom: "They said it wasn't as serious as the other kid," said the mother. "So they met with different boards and determined he's okay."
Reporter: "What do you think?"
Mom: "I don't think it's okay."
What also bothers the parent is she wouldn't know about the other list if it wasn't on our news. No letters ever went home to the student body. "To me, whether your child's name is on the list or not -- you should be notified that something is going on in school."
District 66 officials declined to talk about the case because it involves student discipline. They could only say they followed the code of conduct and spoke with those involved.
The mom says the boy is supposed to have a chaperon while at school and not mix with her child or the others on the list. He's also supposed to eat alone and have a different locker after what happened.
Police responded to Westside Middle School and were told the computer was checked by tech support, and a "Want to Kill" list was found on the computer. On the list was the names of two teachers and six students. The student who made the list is not being named because he is only 13.
In the report, police say "There is a long history of bullying issues between (some of the victims) and (the suspect), although by his admission, there have not been any issues this year.
The suspect told officers he did not intend to carry out his plan, and did not have access to any weapons.
Parents of the students on the list say they believe the school acted appropriately and quickly.
Westside issued a statement saying the student had been disciplined according to their code of conduct.
The student is due in court in March.