Magnetic Balls Danger

The Consumer Product Safety Commission sued the makers of Buckyballs to force it to stop selling it's magnetic toys, saying they are hazardous, especially to children.

Consumer Reports has been investigating Buckyballs and other brands of rare-earth magnetic toys and cautions-in the hands and mouths of children-these magnets are potentially deadly.

Two-year-old Braylon Jordan somehow swallowed eight super-strong magnetic balls, which are at least 15 times stronger than traditional magnets.

The force of the magnetic attraction punched through Braylon's small intestine-almost all of which had to be surgically removed.

Meaghin Jordan says, "Braylon isn't allowed to eat anything, so he has to be fed through a tunnel catheter in his chest."

Braylon has to wear an ostomy bag day and night that catches his waste. Still, it could have been worse.

Dr. R. Adam Noel says, "Braylon is fortunate to be alive."

Dr. Noel is conducting a nationwide study and says he's seeing an alarming increase in this type of injury.

Several different companies sell these rare-earth magnets and advertise online, including Buckyballs, Zen Magnets, Magnet Balls, and Neocube.

Andrea Rock of Consumer Reports says, "They are fascinating, and sales are through the roof. For example, Buckyballs, which has only been on the market since 2009, claims to have annual sales of more than 25-million dollars."

Buckyballs has a warning that states, "keep away from all children, do not put in nose or mouth."

Rock says, "But our investigation shows that warnings in other brands of magnet sets could be easily missed."

Zen Magnets' warning is buried under several layers and encased in cellophane.

And some online retailers do not have any warnings. Toys "R" Us simply touts "endless hours of play."

Rock says, "We are concerned that the warnings on these magnetic balls have not prevented serious injuries in children, and we are calling for the removal of these toys from the consumer market."

The Jordans bought the magnets long before they had Braylon and had no idea of the potential danger.

Jordan says, "I would advise parents with everything in me not to buy them at all."

Buckyballs' CEO says that with the warnings used correctly, rare-earth magnets are safe to sell. Also be aware that older children are using these magnets to mimic tongue and lip piercings and are accidentally swallowing them-suffering serious injuries as well.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
WOWT NBC Omaha 3501 Farnam Street Omaha, NE 68131 (402) 346-6666 sixonline@wowt.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 165089246 - wowt.com/a?a=165089246
Gray Television, Inc.